Thursday, August 21, 2008

Two women’s witnesses equals one men – is that equality of gender in Islam?

My white colleague Mark at work barge in my office saying, so you Muslims promote equality of gender don’t you! and your holy book says “two women’s witnesses equals one man” is that what you folks called equality of gender? As usual he caught me off guard in the midst of my work. I replied, are you asking me a question or you have already reached your conclusion. He said go ahead and give your best shot I am here for a fair debate.
I started by asking, so tell me Mark, how is your relationship with your wife? He said what has that to do with this issue of equality of gender. I replied nothing just asking as I remembered few weeks before you were complaining about your wife nagging attitude and your skirmishes with her. He said well, you see it has been a roller coaster ride it has its ups and its down. I said “fair enough” now allow me to share with you what Dr. Jennifer al-Knopf, Director of the Sex and Marital Therapy Programmed of North-western University has to say on the phenomenon of menopause, she writes in Newsweek International on May 25th 1992.
“... Women never know what their body is doing to them ... some reporting debilitating symptoms from hot flashes to night sweat, sleeplessness, irritability, mood swings, short term memory loss, migraine, headaches, urinary inconsistence and weight gain. Most such problems can be traced to the drop-off in the female hormones estrogen and progesterone, both of which govern the ovarian cycle. But every woman starts with a different level of hormones and loses them at different rates. The unpredictability is one of the most upsetting aspects. Women never know what their body is going to do to them ...”
I continued further, so scientifically it is a proven fact that the female hormone levels and their interactions with different functions of female brain alter neuronal functions during different phases of menstrual cycle, pregnancy and also during the period of menopause. These changes affect emotional stability, judgment, inhibition, excitation and mood and hence it is certainly a mercy of God to relieve females of complete responsibility because of these biological limitations while on the other hand man does not have any of these obstacles.
Mark partially nodding his head raised the objection flag by saying, I still think woman is as good of a witness as a man provided they are not undergoing menstruation or Pregnancy or going through Menopause so now the question is why wouldn’t Islam accept women as one complete witness when they are not undergoing this conditions? I immediately shot back, you got that right however in that case the judge would be required to ask these personal questions to the women before accepting her witness and that would be an embarrassment to the women in public instead why not just have two women witnesses equals one man so in case one makes a mistake the other will be there to rectify?
Mark concluded by saying I don’t know if I understand Islam or not but I do understand my roller coaster ride now, you see 99% of the time my arguments and fights with my wife is when she is undergoing menstruation and I better start down playing her during that crucial time cycle.

No comments: